Name: Ioannis Liritzis Gender: Male
Professional Title: Professor Tutor qualification: Teaching, Research
Degree: Doctor (Ph.D) E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Subsidiary: Institute of Capital Civilization and Cultural Heritage
Subject: Archaeometry and Interdisciplinary Approaches to Archaeology, Palaeoenvironment and Cultural Heritage
1975-1980 Ph.D., Physics in Archaeology, Edinburgh University, Dept of Physics, Advisor: Prof. Robert GALLOWAY (Physics), Prof. Ken CREER (Geophysics), Dr Hugh McKERRELL (Nat. Museum of Scotland, Conservation & Chemical lab.)[Recipient of Edinburgh University Scholarship by committee head Nobel Prize Winner (2012) Prof. Peter HIGGS]
1975-1976, Nuclear Instrumentation Diploma Course, & Radiation Protection Certificate as Radiation Designating Worker, Edinburgh University & East Kilbride Scottish Universities Research & Reactor Center, Advisor-Director: Prof. Robert GALLOWAY.
1971-1975, B.Sc, Physics (Honors), Dept of Physics, University of Patras, Greece.
1976-77, Geochronology researcher, McMaster University, Dept of Geology, Hamilton, Canada (PhD researcher) [Advisor-Director: Prof. Henry SCHWARCZ]
1999-2020 Full Professor, University of the Aegean, Dept of Mediterranean Studies, Greece
1995, Maître de Conference, Universite de Bordeaux III, Research Center of Interdisciplinary Applications in Archaeology, France, Director: Prof. Max SCHVOERER.
2016, University of California San Diego, Dept of Anthropology, teaching Undergraduate & Post graduate students in Spring term, on two courses a) Graduate Seminar ANTH 207 Eastern Mediterranean Archaeology – New Perspectives, and b) Undergraduate 'World Prehistory -
Method and Theory' Director: Prof Tom LEVY.
2010-12, Teaching in Master Degree entitled: ‘Chemistry, Technology & Management of the Environment’, the course ‘Environmental Archaeometry’, Dept of Chemistry, University of Athens, Greece.
Archaeometry-Archaeological Sciences, New technologies in Cultural Heritage, Archaeo-environment, Sustainability of Cultural Heritage, Archaeoastronomy, Digital Archaeology
Works (Books & Editing Books)
1. Liritzis, I (1994) Dating methods in Archaeology. Publ. Institut de Livre, A.Kardamitsa, 2nd Edition (Academy of Athens Award 1986)(in Greek).
2. Ioannis Liritzis and John Xanthakis (1991) Geomagnetic variation as inferred from archaeomagnetism in Greece and palaeomagnetism in British lake sediments since 7000 BC, Academy of Athens Publications, vol.53, Athens.[Book Review: by Dr Mark Noel, Surveys in Geophysics, 1-2, 1994].
3. Ioannis Liritzis (1991) Radioactivity Alert, Phototypos Publ., Athens [Book Review by Prof. P.Dimotakis in Chimica Chronika vol.54, no.1, p.23].
4. Ioannis Liritzis, Evangelos Lagios, D. Sotiropoulos (1992) A global archaeointensity data bank, University of Athens Publ., Dept. of Geology, Geophysical lab., No.3, Athens.
5. Liritzis, I (1998) The Mystery of Greek pyramidals. Academy of Delphic Studies, Athens (in Greek).
6. Liritzis, I (2005) Archaeology & Environment (1st Ed.. University of the Aegean,
Dept. of Mediterranean Studies, Rhodes, 2001), 2nd Ed. Improved and Increased by 4 Chapters, Institute de Livre, A.Kardamitsa, Athens, 267 p.
7. Orphanidi, L and Liritzis, I (2005) Introduction in Museology & Preventive Conservation. (1st Ed. By University of the Aegean, Dept of Mediterranean Studies, Rhodes, with extended summaries per chapter in English & Arabic), 2nd Ed. Increased & Improved, 2006, and 3rd Ed. Increased, 2013, by Institute de Livre, A.Kardamitsa, Athens.
8. Liritzis, I (2007) Physical Sciences in Archaeology, G.Dardanos-Typothito Publisher, 1st Ed. 2005, 2nd Edition Improved, 2007, 703 p.
9. Liritzis, I, Singhvi, A.K, Feathers, J.K, Wagner, G.A, Kadereit, A, Zacharias, N, and Li, S-H (2013) Luminescence Dating in Archaeology, Anthropology and Geoarchaeology: An Overview. SpringerBriefs in Earth System Sciences (http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/978-3-319-00170-8.pdf)
10. Ioannis Liritzis, Gregory Tsokas (Editors) Second Southern European Conference on Archaeometry, PACT series No.45, Council of Europe, 1996, Belgium.
11. Liritzis, I & Tony Hackens (Editors), First Southern European Conference on Archaeometry, PACT series No15, Council of Europe, 1986, Belgium.
12. Liritzis, I (Guest Editor) (2001) Archaeometry in Archaeology: New Trends, Proceedings of International Workshop (3-6 Nov., 1999, Rhodes) in J.Radioanal. Nuclear Chem., vol. 247, No 3, 596-730.
13. Liritzis, I (Ed.) (1994) Delphi Idea, Ancient Greek Rationale and Contemporary World, Proceedings of 1st Philosophical Meeting Contemporary Scepticism, Academy of Delphic Studies, No.1, 109 p. (ISBN 960-220-584-9).(in Greek & English languages)
14. Liritzis, I (Ed.) (1996) Delphi Idea, Ancient Greek Rationale and Contemporary World, Proceedings of 2nd Philosophical Meeting Contemporary Scepticism, Academy of Delphic Studies, No.2, 57 p. (ISBN 960-85798-0-5).
15. Liritzis, I (Ed.) (1997) Delphi Idea, Ancient Greek Rationale and Contemporary World, Proceedings of 3rd Philosophical Meeting on Contemporary Scepticism, Academy of Delphic Studies, No.3, 108 p. (ISBN 960-85798-0-5) (with extended summaries in English).
16. Liritzis, I (Ed.) (1999) Delphi Idea, Ancient Greek Rationale and Contemporary World, Proceedings of 4th Philosophical Meeting on Contemporary Scepticism, Topic: Myth & Reality from within the Ancient Greek Texts and the Visions of Poet A. Sikelianos. Academy of Delphic Studies, No.4, 93 p. (ISBN 960-85798-2-1, ISSN 1107-3772) (with some articles in English).
17. Liritzis, I (Ed.). PROCEEDINGS of the Laboratory of Archaeometry, 1999- 2010, , University of the Aegean, 40 p. (3 issues)..
18. Liritzis, I (Editor) (2002) International Conference Proceedings on Archaeology & Environment in Dodecanesse: Research & Cultural Tourism, Lab of Archaeometry, University of the Aegean, Rhodes.
19. I.Liritzis & Y.Sakkas (Editors) (1999) National Meeting: The Role and physiognomy of new dept of Mediterranean Studies, 5-6 Dec 1998, Rhodes, Dept of Mediterranean Studies (in Greek).
20. Liritzis.I (1998) One Day Meeting: Aegean: the cradle of western civilization., 23 June 1998, Panhellenic Club of Yachting of Open Seas (PCYOS) & Dept of Mediterranean Studies (DMS), Univ of the Aegean, Organiser I.Liritzis, Proceedings edited by I.Liritzis, publ. by PCYOS & DMS.(in Greek)
21. Liritzis, I & A.Sampson 2001, Archaeological Workshop: The Aegean basin between the Balkans, Anatolia and Near east: Local experimentations and outward interactions in an island society, under the Interreg II Project, 23rd March 2001. Proceedings, Dept of Mediterranean Studies, Univ. of the Aegean, Rhodes.
22. Liritzis I, 2001, ACTS OF PROJECT GAIA (Interreg II)- Community Action, Interreg II Measure 6.3, European Union & Ministry of Finance Funding, Rhodes 2001. Dept of Mediterranean Studies, Univ. of the Aegean. In Greek and English, 60 pages.(ISBN 960-87197-4-7). Scientific PI.
23. Liritzis, I 2002, International Conference: Settlers & Settlements in Greece, 9000-1000 BC, Rhodes 7-11 October 2002. Organised by I.Liritzis, DMS, Univ Aegean, Rhodes.
24. Liritzis, I (2006), A 2-Day Meeting on Local initiatives and employment, measure 4.1, of southern
Aegean Regional Program Framework of EU with title Cultural Tourism in 3rd millennium: Rhodes, employment, culture, 17-18 March 2006, Rhodes. Collaboration between Univ of the Aegean, Dept of Mediterranean Studies, Municipality of Rhodes, Regional Office of Dodecanesse et alia, (10 members), Proceedings.
25. Liritzis, I (Editor) (2006) Proceedings of 14th SEAC (European Society of Astronomy in Culture) (Refereed), Special Issue of the International Journal Mediterranean Archaeology & Archaeometry, Vol.6, No 3 (Rhodes).
26. Liritzis, I (Editor) (2008). New Technologies in Archaeognostic Sciences (22 Chapters), GUTENBERG PRESS.(in Greek)
27. Initiative between Prof. I.Liritzis, E.Roussos-Papadakis, High Court Attorney in Law and Prof. E.Moutsopoulos, academician. Towards an Intellectual Charta of the Aegean, 22 Sept 2009. Proceedings edited by I.Liritzis & E.Roussos-Papadakis (in Greek with English translation).
28. Liritzis, I & Zacharias, N (editors) (2010) of the University Book ‘Archaeo-Materials’, Papazisis Press, Athens, 750 p. (in Greek).
29. Kostaridou, P & Liritzis, I (editors) Cultural Tourism in Lykaeon Mount, 1st 2-Day Meeting 23 24 May 2008 Cultural Center of Megalopolis Municipality, (in Greek).
30. Liritzis, I and Christopher M. Stevenson (Editors) (2012) Obsidian and Ancient Manufactured Glasses; The University of New Mexico Press, Albuquerque.
31. Liritzis, I, Guest Editor, in the Journal SUSTAINABILITY (11 papers): https://www.mdpi.com/journal/sustainability/special_issues/Archaeology_Cultural_Heritage.
Publications (more than 300, see www.liritzis.eu, some are shown below)
1980 Liritzis, Y. and Thomas, R. Palaeointensity and thermoluminescence measurements on Cretan kilns from 1300 to 2000BC; Nature, 283, 54-55
1985 Liritzis, Y. Archaeomagnetism, Santorini volcanic eruption and destruction levels on Crete; Nature, 313, 74-76.
1983 Liritzis, Y. U234/Th230 dating contribution to the resolution of Petralona controversy; Nature, 299, 5880, 280-281.
2014 Liritzis, I and Vafiadou, A. Surface luminescence dating of some Egyptian monuments. Journal of Cultural Heritage 16, 134-150.
2014 Liritzis, I. Obsidian Hydration Dating, in Rink, W.J., Thompson, J.W. (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Scientific Dating Methods, Springer-Verlag, Berlin- Heidelberg, DOI 10.1007/978-94-007-6326-5_39-1, 1-23
2015 Liritzis,I, et al., Witnessing prehistoric Delphi by Luminescence dating. Comptes Rendus PALEVOL Vol.14, 219-232.
2015 Castro Belen, Liritzis Ioannis and Nyquist Anne. Oracular Functioning And Architecture of Five Ancient Apollo Temples Through Archaeastronomy: Novel Approach And Interpretation Nexus Network Journal, Architecture & Mathematics, 18(2), 373-395 (DOI:10.1007/s00004-015-0276-2)
2015 J.Cruz, E.Figueiredo, V.Corregidor, P. I. Girginova, L.C.Alves, C.Cruz, R.J.C.Silva and I.Liritzis. First Results on Radiometric Dating of Metals by Alpha Spectrometry. Microchemical Journal, 124, 608-614, doi:10.1016/j.microc.2015.10.001 31
2015 Liritzis, I & Droseros, N. Light emitting diodes and Optically Stimulated Luminescence dating in Archaeology: An overview. Mediterranean Archaeology & Archaeometry, 15, 2, 277-291
2015 Liritzis, I, et al. Digital technologies and trends in cultural heritage. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 15, No 3, pp. 313-332 (DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.33832)
2015 Liritzis, I, et al. Mortar analysis of wall painting at Amfissa Cathedral for conservation-restoration purposes. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 15, No 3, pp. 301-311 (DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.33833)
2015 Liritzis, I, et al.,Nabatean tombs orientation by remote sensing: Provisional results. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 15, No 3, pp. 289-299 (DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.33835)
2016 Liritzis.I, et al. DELPHI4DELPHI: first results of the digital archaeology initiative for ancient
Delphi, Greece. ANTIQUITY Gallery (90 354, e4 (2016): 1–6, doi:10.15184/aqy.2016.187
2017 Laskaris, N, Liritzis, I, Massimo Bonini, Francesca Ridi, Reinhard Kersting, Fahad Al-Otaibi. AFM and SIMS surface and cation profile investigation of archaeological obsidians: new data. Journal of Cultural Heritage, 25, 101- 112.
2016 Liritzis I, et al., Chronology of construction and occupational phases of Nawamis tombs, Sinai, based on OSL dating. GEOCHRONOMETRIA, 43, 121-130.
2016 Liritzis, I, Zhengyao Jin, Anchuan Fan, Sideris.A, Drivaliari,A. Late Helladic and later reuse phases of Kastrouli settlement (Greece): preliminary dating results Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 16 No 3, pp. 245-250.
2017 Liritzis, I, et al. New evidence from archaeoastronomy on Apollo oracles and Apollo-Asclepius related cult. Journal of Cultural Heritage 26, 129–143. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.culher.2017.02.011
2017 Deniz Oguz-Kirca & Liritzis I. Searching Ancient Territorium of Hygassos in Anatolia: Settlement Patterns and Spatio-Temporal Investigations through Aerial and GIS Applications. GEOJOURNAL, Vol. 83, No.3 pp 441- 464 DOI 10.1007/s10708-017-9779-6
2017 Sideris, A, Ioannis Liritzis, Βrady Liss, Matthew D. Howland, Thomas E.
Levy. At-risk cultural heritage: new excavations and finds from the Mycenaean site of Kastrouli, Phokis, Greece Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 17, No 1, (2017), pp. 271-285
2017 Liritzis, I, Panagiota Preka-Papadema, Panagiotis Antonopoulos, Konstantinos Kalachanis and Chris G.Tzanis. Does astronomical and geographical information of Plutarch's De Facie describe a trip beyond the north Atlantic ocean?. Journal of Coastal Research, 34, 3, 651-674
2017 E.Deniz OĞUZ-KIRCA, Liritzis, I. Chasing Hygassos (Anatolia): Settlement Under Epigraphic Evidence. Studia Antiqua et Archaeologica, 23(2), 257-292
2017 Liritzis, I, Panou, E, Exarhos, M. Novel approaches in surface luminescence dating of rock art: a brief review. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 17, No 4, pp. 89-102.
2017 Hatzopoulos, J, Stefanakis, D, Georgopoulos, A, Sevasti Tapinaki, S, Volonakis P, Liritzis I. Use of various surveying technologies to 3d digital mapping and modelling of cultural heritage structures for maintenance and restoration purposes: the tholos in DELPHI, GREECE. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 17 No 3, pp. 311-336
2017 Liritzis I, Panou E, Miao,C Fengxian Xu, Cai S. Aurorae and archaeomagnetism from the 1st millennium BC. China, Greece and Italy: a brief overview and critical assessment. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 17, No 3, pp. 273-300.
2018 Liritzis, I. STEMAC (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics for Arts & Culture): The emergence of a new pedagogical discipline. SCIENTIFIC CULTURE, Vol.4, No 2, 73-76. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.1214567
2018 Liritzis, I et al. Luminescence dating of stone wall, tomb and ceramics of Kastrouli (Phokis, Greece) Late Helladic settlement: case study. Journal of Cultural Heritage. Vol. 35, pp.76-85
2018 Liritzis, I, et al., Daraki- Chattan rock art constrained OSL chronology and multianalytical techniques: a first pilot investigation. Journal of Cultural Heritage, 37, 29–43.
2018 Bratitsi M., Liritzis I., et al. Critical assessment of chromatic index in archaeological ceramics by Munsell and RGB: novel contribution to characterization and provenance studies. Mediterranean Archaeology & Archaeometry, Vol.18, No.2, 175-212, DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.1297163
2018 Liritzis, I, et al. Characterisation and analyses of museum objects using pXRF: An application from the Delphi Museum, Greece. Studia Antiqua et Archaeologica 24(1): 31–50
2018 Vasileiadou, M & Liritzis, I. The historical ages in the South-Eastern Aegean (800–200 BC): a review. Studia Antiqua et Archaeologica 24(1): 5–30.
2018 Sideris, A, Liritzis, I. The Mycenaean site of Kastrouli, Phokis, Greece: second excavation season, July 2017. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 18, No 3, pp. 209-224.
2018 Vlachos, A., Liritzis, I. and Georgopoulos, A. The lighting of god’s face during solar stands in the Apollo temple Delphi. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 18, No 3, pp. 225-246. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.2543786.
2019 Liritzis, I & Korka, E. Archaeometry’s Role in Cultural Heritage Sustainability and Development. SUSTAINABILITY, 11, 1972. DOI:10.3390/su11071972.
2019 Liritzis, I, Westra, A and Changhong, M Disaster GeoArchaeology and Natural Cataclysms in World Cultural Evolution: An Overview. Journal of Coastal Research 35(6):1307. DOI: 10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-19-00035.1
2019 Kontopoulos, I, Penkman, K, Liritzis, I, Collins.M.J. Bone diagenesis in a Mycenaean secondary burial (Kastrouli, Greece) Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences (published online, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12520-019-00853-0).
2019 Bratitsi M, Liritzis I, Alexopoulou A, Makris D. Visualising underpainted layers via spectroscopic techniques: a brief review of case studies. SCIENTIFIC CULTURE, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 55-68. DOI:10.5281/zenodo.3340112.
2019 Ganetsos, T, Regkli, A, Laskaris, N, Liritzis, I Spectroscopic study of colour traces in marble sculptures and architectural parts of monuments of archaic period in Delphi, Greece. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry Vol. 19, No 3, pp. 51-61. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.3457526.
2020 Baziotis, I, Xydous, S, Manimanaki, S, Liritzis, I. An integrated method for ceramic characterization: A case study from the newly excavated Kastrouli site (Late Helladic) Journal of Cultural Heritage 42, 274–279.
2020 Liritzis, I, et al.Αrchaeometry: an overview. SCIENTIFIC CULTURE, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 49-98 DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.3625220.
2020 Liritzis, I, Miller, M.C, Alappat, L. The value of OSL in distinguishing ancient from more recent structures in an archaeological landscape. SCIENTIFIC CULTURE, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 23-34. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.3724844.
2020 Xanthopoulou, V., Iliopoulos, I and Liritzis, I. Characterization of clays for the provenance of archaeological ceramic materials: a review. SCIENTIFIC CULTURE, Vol.6, No.2, 73-86. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.3724849.
2020 Liritzis, I, et al. Characterization and provenance of ceramic artifacts and local clays from late Mycenaean Kastrouli (Greece) by means of P-XRF screening and statistical analysis. Journal of Cultural Heritage (in press).
2020 Kontopoulos. I, Penkman, K…. Liritzis, I ert al. Screening archaeological bone for palaeogenetic and palaeoproteomic studies. PLOS ONE (https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0235146 June 25, 2020.
2020 Laskaris.N and Liritzis.I. Surface and interface investigation of archaeological obsidian artefacts with TOF-SIMS: case study. SCIENTIFIC CULTURE, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 85-99 DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.3742358
2020 Koh.A.J., Birney.K.J, Roy.I,M, Liritzis.I. The Mycenaean citadel and environs of Desfina-Kastrouli: a transdisciplinary approach to southern Phokis. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry. Vol. 20, No 3, (2020), pp. 47-73. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.3930420
1995-1999 Onasis Foundation, Athens. Developing a new luminescence dating of carved rocks. Basic research and application, 10, 000 Euros, PI.
2000-2003 Approved (EU co-funded) Project Interreg II, named GAIA collaboration between Alexandria University, Yarmouk University and The University of the Aegean / Ministry of Education. Responsible of EU co-funded Project via Res Unit Account about the support of the new Dept of Mediterranean Studies (DMS), Rhodes. He was elected as the 1st Professor in the new Department and he essentially set the foundations of this Dept. on Issues of Administration, Syllabus, Personnel, Laboratories. The DMS has three divisions, a) Archaeology, b) Linguistics of SE Mediterranean, and c) International Relations & Organizations, and gets 180 students per annum, after exams. 100,000 Euros, co-PI.
2001-2004 Analysis of Neolithic ceramics from the Aegean with the non destructive XRF, Ministry of the Aegean, 20,000 Euros, PI.
2001-2005 Boudouris Foundation, Academy of Athens. Dating and prospection of two Hellenic pyramidals (new method of dating), 5,000 Euros, co-PI.
2005-2008 Chromatology of Theophrastus from Eressos: Analyses, provenance contribution in the study of cultural heritage, 69.000,00 €, Ministry of Education, EU (75%)-Greece (25%) and co-funded by Holy Foundation St Catherine at Sinai 30%, Programme on R&D (http://www.rhodes.aegean.gr/tms/Theophrastus/Theophrastus/Welcome.html), 40,000 Euros, PI.
2013-2016 EU-Ministry of Education co-funded project of Multiinsularity, on “The beginnings of Aegean prehistory. Part I: 30,000-7,000 BC and 800-200 BC”, 30,000 Euros, PI
2019-2020 Reginal Governance of Mainland Greece, archaeological-archaeometrical investigations of Mycenean settlement Kastrouli (Desfina near Delphi, Greece). Managing fund by the Research Unit University of the Aegean, 14,000 Euros, PI